- May be used for headache, dizziness, vertigo, a sensation of heat rushing to the head, blurred vision, tinnitus, and insomnia. More severe cases may exhibit numbness, twitching and spasms in the extremities, or even hemiplegia.
- Treats high blood pressure
Chinese Therapeutic Effects
Internal: 3 to 5 tablets TID, between meals
90 tablets, 750 mg., 10 day supply
Gastrodia rhizome (tian ma), Uncaria stem (gou teng), Abalone shell (shi jue ming), Gardenia fruit (zhi zi), Scute root (huang qin), Leonurus herb (yi mu cao), Cyathula root (chuan niu xi), Eucommia bark (du zhong), Loranthus stem (sang ji sheng), Polygonum stem (ye jiao teng), Fu shen sclerotium (fu shen)
Pinyin Reference: Tian Ma Gou Teng Yin
This is the classic Chinese formula, Gastrodia and Uncaria Decoction (Tian Ma Gou Teng Yin) used to treat the syndrome presentation of ascendant liver yang with internal movement of liver wind, caused by liver and kidney yin deficiency and exuberant liver yang.
Gastrodia (tian ma), uncaria (gou teng), and abalone shell (shi jue ming) calm the liver and extinguish internal wind. Gardenia (zhi zi) and scute (huang qin) clear heat and drain fire. Leonurus (yi mu cao) promotes blood circulation so that blood does not rise to the head with ascending liver yang. Cyathula (chuan niu xi) conducts blood downward and along with eucommia (du zhong) and loranthus (sang ji sheng) nourishes and tonifies the liver and kidney. Polygonum stem (ye jiao teng) and fu shen are added to calm the spirit and resolve insomnia.
- This formula is often used to address hypertension when the presentation corresponds with the syndrome pattern. It is NOT appropriate for external wind conditions. Practitioners should keep in mind the basic differences between internal and external wind. Internal wind is a manifestation of liver pathology, and symptoms are primarily related to the muscles/tendons, eyes, and nervous system. External wind arises when the body is invaded by environmental wind, with the simplest case characterized by symptoms of fever with aversion to wind/drafts, sweating, or scratchy throat, coughing, stuffy nose
- See Health Concerns Newsletters: Vol. 12 No. 4 Diabetes II Complications of Diabetes (Gaeddert); Vol. 10 No. 1 Can Herbs Help Stroke Patients? (Gaeddert)
- Combine with Astra Essence for to tonify yin, yang, Qi and blood
- Combine with Nine Flavor Tea for increased general yin nourishing
- Combine with Calm Spirit to nourish heart yin
- For high blood pressure due to phlegm consider Clear Phlegm
- For high blood pressure due to kidney yin deficiency consider Astra Essence or Backbone for kidney yang deficiency