- Serves as an immune system tonic for chronic viral infections and inflammations accompanied by fatigue, facial flushing, agitation, and lymphatic swelling.
- Useful for chronic fatigue syndrome, Herpes simplex, HIV, hepatitis.
Chinese Therapeutic Effects
Internal: 3 tablets TID
90 tablets, 650 mg., 10 day supply
270 tablets, 650 mg., 30 day supply
Isatis extract leaf & root (da qing ye & ban lan gen), Astragalus root (huang qi), Bupleurum root (chai hu), Laminaria leaf (kun bu), Codonopsis root (dang shen), Epimedium leaf (yin yang huo), Lycium fruit (gou qi zi), Dioscorea root (shan yao), Ligustrum fruit (nu zhen zi), Broussonetia fruit (chu shi zi), White Atractylodes rhizome (bai zhu), Licorice root (gan cao)
Astra Isatis combines isatis (da qing ye/ban lan gen), an herb with strong anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties, with Qi, yin and yang tonics. The formula is designed for patients with weak constitutions who are prone to many infections. The cooling and warming properties of the herbs are balanced in Astra Isatis to provide long-term therapy for chronic viral infections, which tend to exhaust the Qi and yang. The formula contains herbs that help calm an overactive metabolism and inhibit the agitating effects of pathogenic organisms. It includes spleen and kidney tonic herbs chosen for their immune enhancing properties and their ability to reduce inflammations. Laminaria (kun bu) regulates the thyroid and resolves lymphatic congestion. Bupleurum (chai hu) invigorates liver Qi and is used in the treatment of prolonged infections. Astragalus (huang qi), codonopsis (dang shen), white atractylodes (bai zhu) and dioscorea (shan yao) strengthen the spleen, and have immune enhancing properties according to Western research. Epimedium (yin yang huo) tonifies kidney yin and yang. Lycium (gou qi zi) nourishes kidney yin. Licorice (gan cao) tonifies the adrenal gland and has detoxifying properties.
- If taken in large dosage at the first sign of a herpes outbreak, the formula can prevent its occurrence, i.e. 9 tablets BID to TID
- Used in a study on immune system enhancement at John Bastyr Naturopathic College in Seattle, Washington
- May be useful in chronic gum and throat infections
- See Health Concerns Newsletters: Vol. 5 No. 2 From Chronic Fatigue Patient to Athlete (Guzman); Vol. 5 No. 3 Integrating Chinese Herbs and Western Medicine in the Treatment of HIV Patients: Part 1 (Gaeddert); Vol. 6 No. 1 Treating Women with HIV & Other Viral Conditions: Eastern and Western Perspectives Part 1 (Surasky / Cohen); Vol. 6 No. 2 Treating Women with HIV & Other Viral Conditions: Eastern and Western Perspectives Part 2 (Surasky / Cohen); Vol. 13 No. 2 Healing Skin Disorders, Part II: Shingles (Gaeddert)
- If additional spleen and kidney Qi tonics are necessary, add Astra 8 or Astra Essence
- For immune system enhancement, compare with Astra 8, which is a more warming formula
- If dryness occurs with use of Astra Isatis, consider adding Nine Flavor Tea