- Take for immune system enhancement and as an energy tonic. May be used for fatigue, systemic weakness, adrenal deficiencies, chills, diarrhea, muscle aches, and inability to concentrate
- Has adaptogenic properties; helps the body adapt to (mental and physical) stress
- Useful for weak lungs
Chinese Therapeutic Effects
Internal: 3 tablets BID to TID between meals
90 tablets, 500 mg., 15 day supply
270 tablets, 500 mg., 45 day supply
Contraindications: Warming tonic that may be too warm for some patients, reduce dosage or take an alternate formula
Astragalus root extract (huang qi), Eleuthero root extract (ci wu jia), Ginseng root (ren shen), Schizandra fruit (wu wei zi), Ligustrum fruit (nu zhen zi), Oryza sprout (gu ya), Licorice root (gan cao)
Pinyin Reference: Si Jun Zi Tang
All of the herbs in the formula are Qi tonics that support astragalus with the intention of boosting the immune and energy systems.
Studies have reported that administration of astragalus for one month increased phagocytosis by spleen cells, decreased T-suppressor cell function and improved T-killer cell function. Astragalus enhances the effects of interferon and resistance to colds. Using an in vitro study, astragalus root extract was reported to inhibit viral replication. Astragalus formulas are useful in the support of radiation and chemotherapy patients. Recently, astragalus was found to relieve symptoms of patients suffering with seasonal allergic rhinitis.
Health Concerns uses Asian ginseng ginsenoside extract (AGGE). It is thought that ginsenosides act at hormone receptor sites, especially in the hypothalamus and pituitary glands, stimulating secretion of adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH). ACTH stimulates the production of adrenal hormones and other factors, leading to balance and regulation of the hypothalamic/adrenal axis that may have been influenced by stress. Ginsenoside extracts improve stamina and learning capacity, and may have carbohydrate-sparing and stamina-increasing activity in muscle tissues.
Studies report that Asian ginseng lowers cortisol levels in diabetics, having a positive benefit with regard to insulin regulation. Asian ginseng may reduce the risk of viral infection and may have protective effects for individuals undergoing chemotherapy and radiotherapy. It also speeds recovery from surgery and helps the body adapt to physiologic stress caused by chemotherapy and radiation.
Schizandra (we wei zi) combined with eleuthero root (ci wu jia) promote body energy and mental
activity, licorice (gan cao) treats immune deficiency and autoimmune disorders, ligustrum (nu
zhen zi) promotes circulation, removes toxins from the liver, and has immune enhancing properties.
Oryza (gu ya) is a digestant.
- Astra 8 may be taken over a long period as an excellent daily tonic and immune regulator
- The formula was used in the Immune Enhancement Project in San Francisco and in the Transfusion Safety Study at the Univ. of Miami in Florida
- The herbs in the formula contain adaptogens, which help alleviate a depressed immune system.
- Some of the herbs appear to have a homeostatic effect on the immune system: deficient immune function may be strengthened, or overactive immune responses may be calmed
- Astra 8 also benefits the lungs, cardiovascular system, and can be used for chronic muscle pain due to spleen deficiency
- For additional immune system and energy enhancement, take with Power Mushrooms
- When a cooler formula is necessary for immune problems, see Astra Isatis
- Astra Essence tonifies yin, yang, Qi and blood